We explore a lot of Marvel and Star Wars news in our Disney Detective this week. Jeremy Renner may loose his Hawkeye role over allegations made by his ex-wife. Ewan McGregor confesses to lying to the fans for four years about the continuing story of Obi-Wan, and Mark Hamill sums up the final Last Jedi Trailer perfectly.
In Entertainment News Martin Scorsese gets some backing by Francis Ford Coppola in his crusade against super hero movies, while Jon Favreau addresses those criticisms. We’ll talk about the opening of the largest indoor theme park in North American and look at the trailer for the latest The Walking Dead spinoff.
We’ll cap off a busy news week with some great Halloween themed Insightful Picks on one that’s a bit outside our usual realm of picks. All for another great podcast.
Speaker 1: 00:02 Insightful pop insights, a podcast network
Speaker 3: 00:28 Come to insights into entertainment, a podcast series, taking a deeper look into entertainment and media, your hosts, Joseph and Michelle Waylon, a husband and wife, team of pop culture fanatics or exploring all things from music and movies to television and fandom.
Speaker 2: 00:50
Speaker 4: 00:51 Welcome to insights into entertainment. This is episode 39 lies and allegations. I am your host, Joseph Whalen and my haunting and beautiful cohost Michelle Wales. Hi everyone. Are you doing today sweetie? I’m good. How are you darling? I’m doing good. So as you can tell from some of our set dressing today, we are doing our Halloween special, although do we have any, any stories that are actually specific for Halloween? Probably not. Well, my insightful, your insightful pick. Yeah, we’ll give you that. So anyways, we’re just noting our Halloween special. We had, did have to do a quick set chain,
Speaker 5: 01:35 Right? I did have to add a couple of things. And this is obviously something that we’ve talked about doing in maybe our, our 40th episode, kind of to highlight our collectibles that we have. And you know, obviously if you’ve been listening and watching our podcast, you know that I am a huge haunted mansion. A fan would have never guessed by the shirt, the ears, the other stuff. Where this time of year, it kind of looks like our living room is decorated for the holiday. Right. But if you see our living room in February, it looks exactly the same. So depending on, on when you come over to, to visit us, you know you know, the, the big joke was years ago we had a, you know, food delivery person come and it was probably September and you know, it was like, Oh wow, you guys are decorating for Halloween. And I’m like, yeah, it’s like this all year long. So, so creeps out some of the, the neighborhood kids when they come over to, to play. But I think now everybody just kinda knows that that’s, you know, where those weird, where those parents, and then of course, if they go downstairs into our basement, then that’s when the whole star Wars realm, you know, takes over. So yes, that’ll definitely be a future episode where we’ll do some pictures and some video of our house to, to show you the obsession that we have.
Speaker 4: 03:12 But today we’re doing lies and allegations. So when our Disney detectives segment, we’re going to be talking about some allegations by Jeremy Renner’s wife that may wind up resulting in him losing the rolls Hawkeye. Then we’ll talk about how you and McGregor has been lying to us about the new star Wars OB one series that is forthcoming. Mark Hamill is in the news as well. Summing up star Wars, the rise of Skywalker trailer in one word. Then in our entertainment news Francis Ford Coppola is now jumping into Martin Scorsese’s corner in their dislike of Marvel superhero movies. So that’s a story that should have died weeks ago that keeps going on. But not to take away from that. We also have John Fabro throwing his head into the ranking is a director of Marvel superhero movies giving us his 2 cents. Then we will talk about Nickelodeon universe, the largest indoor theme park in North America opening in our home state actually this week. And then we’ll talk about the trailer for the walking dead spin off. A surprisingly not sure how it didn’t make it in here, but the rise of sky latest fries, Skywalker trailer did not make it into the news here other than Mark Hamill’s take on it though. But that’s kind of a good thing because given our last interactions with Disney,
Speaker 5: 04:49 Right. Well I figured we would talk about it with his article and,
Speaker 4: 04:54 And just an update. For our listeners a few weeks ago we had done jungle
Speaker 5: 05:02 Cruise, jungle cruise, right, jungle cruise where we didn’t share the trailer. We did show the trip. Some of it in the background. We didn’t highlight,
Speaker 4: 05:12 Well no, the original video actually had the trailer didn’t have the audio, wasn’t the full trailer, and we were given a take down order from Disney enterprises, which I then disputed based on fair use practices and wild love having to put out a revised version of the podcast that didn’t show the video and Disney released their claim. So we got the green light to show them if we want. But given the extra work I had to go through and the trouble I had to go through a, I refused to show any more Disney trailers on the podcast anymore. Right. So anyway, busy scheduled today. Big show. Let’s get down to it.
Speaker 4: 06:04 Yo for Disney detective in the Cantina, that’s that, that, that is, is at the end of the show. We’ll talk about that.
Speaker 5: 06:12 That’s it. That’s a teaser for you guys. What that is. So in our Disney detectives Jeremy Renner is reporting. Lee may lose his Hawkeye roll over his ex wife’s allegations. And this is something, there’s been a couple of different articles that, that came out about this. So last week his ex wife accused the Avengers endgame actor of threatening to kill her, putting a gun in his mouth, doing cocaine and other controlled substances and using a firearm with his daughter in the room.
Speaker 4: 06:45 Don’t let me stop you there for a second. He didn’t threaten to kill her by putting a gun in his mouth.
Speaker 5: 06:49 Yeah, I guess she’s standing behind him or something. I don’t know. I wasn’t there. I wasn’t there. So the couple who got married in 2014 actually ended up getting divorced a year later. And I remember, you know, back when, you know, they had gotten divorced, but now all of these allegations ha have been coming to light. So now, according to a tweet from industry insider Daniel Richmond at Marvel studios that Marvel studios is reportedly considering their options when it comes to the future of Hawkeye following the ex-wives troubled out out accusations pre previous rumors had indicated that, you know, obviously his character was going to be training, you know, his daughter and you know, that he was gonna be basically taking, you know, a back seat and now they’re thinking that they might even kind of jump a little bit ahead of that and not even, you know, bring him forward.
Speaker 5: 07:49 There was another article that I saw today actually where Twitter was kind of all over the place with actually fans saying that they didn’t want to see him anymore in anything because of all of these, these allegations from, from years ago. So obviously we have the Hawkeye series that is set to be on Disney plus during the fall of 2021. But in addition to that, you know, we’re not sure what else, you know, we might see him in, cause I guess he was going to have a, you know, a role in some of the other Marvel universe shows on Disney plus. So as of right now, it’s kind of a up in the air, you know, what’s gonna happen with him because of this.
Speaker 4: 08:31 Well, and the thing that bothers me with this is these are just allegations that now no charges have been filed. No investigation has been completed into this this was a highly contentious divorce between himself and his wife there. Right? So in situations like that a lot of untruths and half truths out of it. And for him to be tried in a court of public opinion like this and for Disney to even be considering removing him now is, is really unfair. Like if let, let him have his trial and see what happened, have his day in court and if he’s convicted, then by all means do what you think you need to do, but don’t really want a man’s career crowd control. You know, like what happens if it turns out that it’s nothing? Oh yeah. Then they ruined this man’s career at that point. I hadn’t recover from him. How many people has that happened to before? Exactly. Yeah, exactly. Yeah. So we’ll, we’ll obviously be, you know, looking into that. So, so how was you in McGregor being in line?
Speaker 5: 09:38 So basically his, he’s been lying because ever since the release of star Wars, return of the Sith a revenge of the Sith, I’m sorry, not return of the Seth, that’s a whole different movie. He kind of knew something was brewing with his character and he had been in talks with various things once Disney purchased Lucas films. And so he knew that there was something coming for OB one, but basically whenever anybody asked him about it, he basically was lying in that respect saying, I don’t know anything about this. I don’t know when he really did, you know, no, for the past four years that there was something brewing for obiwan obviously. So now, you know, now they actually, you know, people get to see what happened with OB one in the new Disney plush series. So he’s basically offering, you know, some, some little details.
Speaker 5: 10:36 He actually said it’s an effing massive relief because for four years I’ve been having to lie to people about it. He told the men’s journal the series will reportedly consist of six hour long episodes, meaning that McGregor’s next adventure as OB one will certainly be substantial. But other than that, he’s not allowed to tell you anything. The storyline basically sits between episode three and episode four. And he explained that this is when the Jedi order is falling apart and it’ll be, you know, interesting to take the character that we know and actually show him, you know, his arc and basically, you know, see how he went from his version of OB one to Alec, you know Guinness’s version to kinda, you know, become that, that older, wiser.
Speaker 4: 11:29 Do they, do they explain how he inexplicably aged 40 years, over 15, 16 years?
Speaker 5: 11:36 Yeah, no, that’ll probably be, you know, something that they’ll, they’ll go into ’em
Speaker 4: 11:41 I would love to get an explanation for that.
Speaker 5: 11:45 And obviously, you know, there had been different talks that there’s a chance that Joel Egerton might be returning as well a to play uncle Owen and he had been uncle Owen in the movies. Yeah. So there’s a chance that he might come in and see, you know, some interaction you know, to kind of see, to kind of do that. So, and what was funny was that that Egerton had actually said, you know, there’s a real possibility he was actually on a different podcast talking about it. He goes, but there’s possibly an assassin on the rooftop just outside the window if I say anything wrong. So I don’t want to say anything, I’m just not going to do it, you know, so, so it’s kind of cool that you know, it looks like that’s definitely gonna be a, an interesting series.
Speaker 4: 12:34 Oh, it’ll be cool to see how it unfolds because in the I don’t know if it’s, some of it’s expanding universe. Some of it was Canon, but there was a couple of OB one novels that came out that, that tried to explore his story a little bit further and they were kind of cool. They did some stuff in the comics and the comics were kind of cool. So if they could blend some of that stuff together and sort of explain what he’s been doing out there in the middle of the desert for the last, you know, 18 years since Luke was born. Right. That’d be kinda cool. Yeah. So let’s talk about Mark Hamill more star Wars,
Speaker 5: 13:10 More star Wars stuff. So star Wars, the rise of Skywalker’s final trailer is obviously out now if you haven’t seen it. And it is obviously given star Wars fandom a major shot in the arm when it comes to generating buzz and hype around the episodes release the rise of Skywalker dominated the trending section of various social media platforms after debuting on Monday night football and inspiring several key figures from the star Wars franchise to weigh in. Obviously Luke included. So after seeing the trailer, he basically summed it up with one word always. Now, if you don’t understand what that means, you have to actually watch the trailer and to give you a description of it that the reference obviously is only if you watched the through in the final scene of the trailer. You see the star Wars sequel trilogy, star Ray is facing what seems to be a reincarnation of M emperor Palpatine.
Speaker 5: 14:09 And then we cut to a shot of Ray holding her blue light saber staring at something that you can’t see off screen. And as Ray is looking into an all-important, something, two voiceovers are heard, one of them being Hamels Luke Skywalker force go saying the forcible we with you while in a second voice, Carrie Fisher’s Leah says always. And I know when I saw it gave me chills too, even though there were a couple of scenes of the trailer where you actually got to see her, but it was kind of like just hearing her say that. So from that one word, Fisher is very significant for various reasons. It hints that she did indeed died and maybe became a force ghost at some point during the movie, unless some classic JJ Abrams misdirection like, Oh, I’m gonna fake a fake you out. It’s also the last word from Carrie Fisher.
Speaker 5: 15:05 It’s possibly the last word from Carrie Fisher in the star Wars franchise, which signifies a much larger sense in which the late actress will forever be kept alive. Thanks to star Wars. Also the trailer happened to be released on what would’ve been her birthday. And you know, so you know, having him highlight that part of it just kind of made like a poignant birthday tribute. So all in all it, you know, it, it was a great trailer. You know, I honestly, I didn’t want to watch it. I, I, I’m always like, no, no, I want to be surprised. I want to be surprised. And it was funny because even when there were a couple of us at work, you know, a couple of days later talking about it, we talked about all the different trailers and that’s the one thing that star Wars has always been known for is awesome trailers where it doesn’t tell you anything. You know? And it’s so funny how you look on YouTube now and you see, you know, hundreds of different, you know, speculations about, okay, well this is what we saw, this is what this means and you know, I’m going to do this and this and this and this becomes this and this, you know, to try and break down what, what is actually in it. So that’s why I didn’t want to see it. You were like, no, you got to see it and like
Speaker 4: 16:29 Bawled my eyes out halfway through and I made you watch the trailer, not the breakdowns. Right. but the one thing that I thought was really interesting about, about this, the significance of Leah and based on everything that I’ve read, she plays a very significant role in this movie. And she has a number of scenes in the movie, all of which were shot prior to her death. This was all stock footage that they had from force awakens and from lash gen I that JJ Abrams was able to go back and use all of that so that she had this key role that he originally envisioned when he did force awakens. So it’ll be very interesting to see how he pulls it off.
Speaker 5: 17:18 Yeah. Yeah. So, you know, I was already excited to see it seeing the trailer, you know, obviously the fan girl in me, you know, is more excited and yes, we already have our tickets bought, you know, that’s wow stuff. So that’s it for Disney detective. Yes, that’s it for our store. Star Wars, Marvel to tech.
Speaker 4: 17:41 We will move on with our entertainment news of the week.
Speaker 5: 17:50 So we’re still fight with, with Martin Scorsese. He’s getting some help here. Yeah. So you know, obviously we’ve talked about this for a couple of weeks now where now Francis Ford Coppola is backing Martin Scorsese’s critique of Marvel superhero movies. So Coppola received some angry comments, you know, after, you know, Martin Scorsese, you know, said things about, you know, the Marvel superhero movies basically being like going to an amusement park. And he basically said that he feels that the Marvel superhero movie superhero movies are despicable. And then I was thinking, well wait, isn’t that another kid’s movie? Despicable me and everything. Right. so, you know, so basically he came to the defense of Martin Scorsese by agreeing and obviously as we, as we had mentioned, you know, Martin Scorsese had said that he doesn’t see them. He tried, but it’s just not cinema to him, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Speaker 5: 18:52 It’s like going to a theme park. There aren’t organized crime members involved. It just doesn’t sit right. And then, you know, and then Coppola basically said, well, when Martin Scorsese says that Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right because we expect to learn something from cinema. We expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration. Coppola had said this while talking to a journalist in France he says, I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again. Martin was kind of kind when he said, it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just said it is. So okay. So, okay. And then obviously James Gunn came, you know, back to Twitter. Basically to argue that, you know, Scorsese and Coppola were basically repeating the same line of criticism that older generations gave them when they were the younger, you know, bright lights of, of Hollywood.
Speaker 5: 19:56 He noted that gangster movies, which had been closely associated with Copeland Scorsese, were ones called despicable by our grandfathers, who also regarded the films of John Ford as exactly the same. He said that I remember. And this was this was James Gunn basically saying, I remember my great uncle who I was raving about star Wars. And he responded by saying, I saw it when it was called 2001 and boy it was boring. He said that superheroes are simply today’s gangster cowboy outer space adventures. Some superhero films are awful and some are beautiful like westerns and gangster movies before that, just movies and not everybody will appreciate them, even some geniuses. And that’s okay. You know, so, you know, James Gunn had a point. It was okay. You know, back in the day, every other movie was a gangster mobster movie. And that was all you, you know, you saw. And then let’s even take it, you know, a couple of generations before that, everything was a Western look at who, you know, who the stars were. He had John Wayne and, and you know, all of the stars of, of that era. And it was all, you know, the spaghetti westerns. That was a whole, and the whole,
Speaker 4: 21:16 Hey, on how Kohala actually defines when a movie should be is subjective. It’s his definition. I go to the movies to escape, right? So if I can sit in a movie theater for two hours and not think about all the other stuff that I’m dealing with in the world, then that movie has done its job, right? I don’t want to necessarily go to that, that, that movie and watch a D a fictional depiction of all the things that happen in the world today. Cause I can want turn the news on and see how many,
Speaker 5: 21:48 And they’re right. And there are some people that do appreciate more of the real life drama that they don’t like the make believe in that. That’s fine. And that subject and it’s all subjective. And that’s why you have all these different types of movies out there. You know that some people are, are only into romcoms and some are only into musicals and some are only into horror. And you have all these genres that are out there for you to choose and pick. But to basically come and attack and say, you know, I don’t know how people watch these over and over. I’m thinking, well, I’m sorry, but once I saw, you know, godfather, I didn’t need to see it again. I didn’t need God, father or God, godfather three let’s, let’s not even talk about that. Father three. I actually had to see that for, you know, a, an English class in high school. You know,
Speaker 4: 22:37 Father, you’ve seen godfather to three Goodfellas and every other mafia movie.
Speaker 5: 22:42 Right. Casino let you know, let’s, let’s go through the list there and literally all you know, the same same actors. Right, exactly. You know, so yes. So for the Marvel ones, you are reusing the same actors because you’re reusing the same. Exactly. You’re playing the same character. Exactly. Connection to the characters. Right, right. And not sticking Joe Peshy in five different mobsters, plain Joe passion. Right. And I hate to tell you, but probably more people got teary-eyed and emotional at the end of end game than they did at any of the godfather movies. So to tell me that there is no emotion and that there’s no feeling or,
Speaker 4: 23:22 And that’s like we said last time, that’s 10 years of movies with different characters and different actors, different cast that you can pull together over the course of 10 years, stick them all in one movie 10 years later and still have cohesion and still draw the fans into a movie that they want to see. Yeah, that’s an outstanding accomplishment.
Speaker 5: 23:44 And what’s the highest grossing movie of, of all tones. Right. We can’t measure by that. Okay. That’s not relevant. Okay. Did you learn anything? No. Yes, I learned the captain American picker can pick up doors. You become your . That’s what I learned. And he and Peggy got back together again. Exactly. And that’s all that I care about. It was a true love story. Exactly. So to kind of, you know, endcap this a little bit. So John Favero actually came out, you know, about the comments that Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola had said. Now obviously if you don’t know who he is, you, you’re not part of the Marvel universe. He is right. Actor, director and staple in the Marvel cinematic universe. And he basically addressed the criticism and said, you know what, these two guys are my heroes and they’ve learned the right and they’ve earned the right to express their opinion.
Speaker 5: 24:44 I wouldn’t be doing what I’m doing if they didn’t carve the way they’ve served as a sources of inspiration. You can go all the way back to swingers where I was referencing Marty and I’ve worked with him for me. They can express whatever opinion they like. Favaro who directed and starred in the first mole Marvel produced film. Ironman has been consistently presence in the MCU since 2008 as an executive producer or an actor. He was involved in all four adventure films. Additionally he started in both Superman, a homecoming, a, sorry, Superman, Spiderman. Wow. Woo. You think I’m tired? Spiderman, homecoming and Spiderman far from home and obviously he is currently working or finished up the Mandalorian, which is part of the star Wars universe that will be premiering on November 12th on Disney plus. So he’s definitely in it. So it was kind of nice of him to be like, you know what, it almost came across as let the cranky old man bitch, you know, we know what we’re doing.
Speaker 5: 25:51 We have fans, we’re not really worried about it. We’ll do their opinion, hardly representative of the populous. Right. Because if it was Avengers, end game would not be the number one grossing movie of all time. Wait. But that’s not a right. So clearly the fans have voted with their wallet as to what they think is a great, let’s see, when you know the Irish men, which is Martin Scorsese’s newest mafia movie, you know, we haven’t had a good mafia movie in what, a year or two, right? Let’s, let’s see how well that does and then compare it to, you know, just one Marvel movie. You don’t even need to Irish descent myself. I have to say I’m offended that he’s depicting Irish people as criminals. And we’ll have a whole podcast on that. I’m sure. Of course we will. So we also have news about the largest indoor theme park in North America and it’s not a Disney attraction.
Speaker 5: 26:50 I know, right? So Nickelodeon universe, which at 8.5 acres will be the largest indoor theme park in North America. Actually opened on October 25th at the American dream mall, which is in East Rutherford, East Rutherford, New Jersey, up in North Jersey. For those of you that are directionally challenged with our state, Southern New York, Southern New York, it’s near giant stadium. It’s in New Jersey. It’s a New York teens basically. So the park features more than 35 rides. Rollercoasters and attractions, Nickelodeon characters such as SpongeBob, Dora the Explorer, teenage mutant Ninja turtles. We’ll all be at the mall to meet the roller coaster. And the rollercoasters include one named show razor which features a plummeting 122 foot drop. Needless to say, I would not be going on for an indoor. Yeah. So since no Nickelodeon attraction would be complete without slime, visitors can enjoy entertainment on the Nickelodeon slime stage prices right now.
Speaker 5: 28:01 It seems to be kind of unclear what they are. But it w the article talked about a general price ticket being 39, 99, and that there was some sort of all access ticket for 49 99. So basically literally a fraction of what Disney charge. Oh, absolutely. But also a fraction of the amount of attractions to, and the amount of space. And I’m sure you know a lot of, you know, even though it’s 35 rides from, you know, the one picture I saw, it was like little, you know carnival type, you know, so, you know, so I think it’s in between largely what most of the Disney stuff is too. It’s just in an indoor building. Yeah. So I think it kind of like for any of you that, that are familiar with storybook land, which is a very old family run theme park amusement park down near the Atlantic city area, Dutch Wonderland is the same kind of thing.
Speaker 5: 29:00 So it kinda seems like it’s it’s more of a mix of that with a couple of little bigger raw, obviously with, you know, some, some rollercoasters. So obviously besides the Nickelodeon universe American dreams, NHL regulation sides, ice rink will also be opening at the same time that will feature open skating, figure skating and hockey. Tournament’s. in November, the Dreamworks water park is set to open at the mall featuring more than 40 water slides and 15 attractions. Now for those of you that might not be familiar with it, the American dream mall has actually been in the works for 16 years and after fall starts in multiple developers, it actually finally got its opening. Well, actually, even before that, I was going to say, cause it was an ado before, right. And even then it was supposed to be something else.
Speaker 5: 29:55 They started. Yeah. So it’s been been a while that this has been going on. So the mall is approximately 3 million square feet, roughly dividing 55% of entertainment and 45% retail space. So a good portion of it is, you know, all this entertainment, you know, stuff that they, they did. So the retail portion of the mall is scheduled to open in March of 2020. And the, you know, the funny thing, if, you know, you’re not familiar with it, that it’ll only be open for six days a week because of new Jersey’s blue laws, which are still in place in Bergen County where the mall is actually located. And for those of you that don’t know blue laws in Bergen County, make it illegal to operate most non food retail on a Sunday. And I’ve been in place since the 1600 thanks
Speaker 4: 30:51 To outdate at New Jersey law, you can’t buy a car or go to the amusement park in Bergen County
Speaker 5: 30:56 On a Sunday, which kind of, I’m surprised that, you know, the didn’t do something else because of that because yeah,
Speaker 4: 31:05 I’m sure they try, but they probably didn’t buy enough phoneticians.
Speaker 5: 31:08 Yeah, yeah. So, you know, so it’s you know, not too far from, you know New York city. So they’re hoping to get people coming in by train for that. They obviously have a huge parking area, you know, to accommodate as well. So it’ll be interesting to, to hear how, how it does. And you know, maybe we’ll actually take a trip up there since our daughter is very much into SpongeBob. You know, it might be a fun little day,
Speaker 4: 31:36 The sound like a cranky old man, but it’s nice to see them start finally bringing in some tax revenue because of the state of New Jersey is poured millions and millions of dollars into developing that land and saw no return come out of it whatsoever. They’ve had three or four developers, the project already after taking government subsidies. So should it be interesting.
Speaker 5: 32:02 So the last thing that we have today is a walking dead story. Right? So this actually, this new story popped up today that they actually released a trailer for the walking dead spinoff. That we actually talked about probably a couple of months ago when they announced that they were doing this, you know, kind of, you know, second spinoff of the show. And as of right now, the show still doesn’t have a name. But basically they’re, they’re, you know, using it as the second spinoff. So this one does have a different look to it then fear the walking dead cause fear of the walking dead and the original walking dead do kind of mirror each other in, in certain respects. Cause it’s, it’s from when, you know, the start of everything happened and, and whatnot where this one basically takes place 10 years after the apocalypse happens and the focus is around a bunch of, of teens that are part of this group.
Speaker 5: 33:03 So basically what happens is that you find out that there’s this Walden city, we’re over 9,000 residents live. It’s basically set out in, in the Midwest and the community has basically created this safe Haven and a fortress where life isn’t just about surviving anymore. And they don’t call them zombies. They call them empties instead of walkers, which is what most of the other shows. So, so, you know, it’s, they don’t know about any of the other groups cause they, they’re basically been walled in for, you know, this 10 year period. You know, when you, when you look at the trailer, you know, they’re in a, it almost looks like they’re at like a university possibly, that they basically took over the university and kind of walled it in. So everything is very clean. It seems like they have power, electricity, the kinder, gentler version of yeah.
Speaker 5: 33:58 It’s almost like what, you know, what they wanted, you know, all the different communities like Alexandria to be or something where, you know, we’re, we’re self-sustaining and basically the, the teens on the show are like, what’s really out there? You know, are we really safe? And you kind of get a hint from the one, the one teenager that her dad kind of went with others on like a scouting mission and that they haven’t been back in, in years or something. So it’s like, do you ever wonder what’s outside of the wall type thing? My dad went down to get lottery tickets and then never came back. So, you know, it looks like there’s a group of them that decide, you know, let’s go out and see. Cause they’ve never fought any of them. They’ve basically kind of gone to school every day and just kind of had a normal, that’s a long university.
Speaker 5: 34:49 Well, no, because a lot of these kids were like, you know, five when they came in, so there’s still, you know you know, so it was interesting. It definitely had a more interesting feel than fear. The walking dead for me, I only watched like the first season and a half of fear, the walking dead and then I kind of lost interest and I know there were people that actually like it better than walking dead. And I know a lot of people that, you know, were walking dead fans from the beginning and then kind of died off because of was funny. That, you know, kind of left the show when it got a little too gruesome and a little too boring, you know. So unfortunately, even though the show seems to be doing well, you know, it is kinda lacking in, in the the ratings right now.
Speaker 5: 35:38 So it almost sounds like the way they’re going to do this is the second spinoff is supposed to debut in spring of 2020. And usually that’s when walking dead ends. And for those of you that know fear, the walking dead is during the summer. So it kinda sounds like between the three shows there’ll be some sort of walking dead, you know, all year long on, on AMC. So, so the seasonal walking dead. Yeah, yeah. Depending on, you know, which walking dead. But again, they’re going to be at that 10 year Mark already, which is pretty much where walking dead already is cause it’s been 10 seasons. And then fear the walking dead kind of. I think that also did the time jump. Right, right. So you know, who knows where, you know you are with, you know, with the, the timeline of everything. So, all right, so that is it for entertainment. This week we’ll be back with our insightful picks
Speaker 5: 36:41 To you, my dear for your pick. So I have actually two quick kind of picks sticking with the holiday theme of Halloween. There was one article that MGM has actually been uploading full episodes of the original Adam’s family to YouTube. So with the brand new animated movie that is now out in theaters now it’s a chance for you if you’ve never watched the original Adams family series to find them on YouTube. The Adam’s family television series, which brought Charles Adams drawings to life to live action for two seasons between 1964 and 1965 66 are now available. You can actually own the entire series for $20 or you can actually stream select episodes for free on YouTube. I actually ended up watching a couple of them today and there were about 25 minutes long. You know, no commercials and everything, but Don Rickles was in, you know, he was a guest to her on, on the one episode that I saw.
Speaker 5: 37:47 I always loved, you know, watching them, so you know, to, to be able to just, you know, want, and they had, they had a fair amount of them, I want to say that were maybe at least 20 of them that were available and look like they were all just released just the other day. So I don’t know how long they’ll be around, but if you happen to be a fan, a nice little themed show to, to watch. The other little Halloween at article that I saw was actually a Stephen King talked to entertainment weekly and recommend a recommended a couple of TV shows, a TV show, a movie, and a book that you should check out for Halloween. So first is actually the child’s play remake. He actually was quoted and said, I didn’t go and see it in the theaters because I thought, well, it’s just another, you know, warmed over, you know, sequel.
Speaker 5: 38:43 He said, Mark Hamill does the voice of Chucky and he freaking loved it. He said, I laughed, I cried at things. Everybody who was in the movie just did a terrific job. It’s a smart script and it’s a load of fun. It really is. And it’s gruesome as hell. So if that’s your type of movie and you know, you hadn’t seen it, obviously Stephen King, the King of you know, horror, he recommends it for TV shows. There’s a show on Netflix called Marianne and it’s a French series and it’s a very, very scary he said there’s something in there, you know, that’s kind of reminds you of stranger things. So it has that kind of vibe and also a very Stephen King vibe as well. So I’m actually interested to, to watch that. I’m finishing up something else right now and then that’s definitely gonna be something on my list. And lastly his book recommendation was called ninth house, and he said it’s a wonderful book called ninth house, and it’s like Harry Potter, but for grownups that’s the kind of book that you read and you say to yourself, Oh my God, it’s scary. It’s smart. It’s imaginative and hope that there’ll be more. So those are Stephen King’s picks for Halloween themed entertainment.
Speaker 4: 40:01 Very cool. Good pics. Thank you. We’ll be back with my unusual. So this week my pick is something that we’ve been listening to in the background throughout the podcast. This was actually a, a anniversary gift
Speaker 5: 40:24 Because our anniversary gift, our anniversary is so it’s themed.
Speaker 4: 40:30 Ah. So that’s my gift from my, from the best wife in the world. If anyone has ever heard of arcade one op, they make classic arcade cabinets with the original controllers and everything. They’re smaller versions. But the one that my loving wife purchased for me was this arcade one-ups star Wars home game. The the star Wars home arcade game features the artwork from the original arcade machine on the cabinet and the included riser and just over five feet tall with the riser comes with a light-up marquee, a full color, 17 inch full color. It’s all color. It’s an early eighties games. So
Speaker 5: 41:21 It’s about four colors, right? One, two, three, four, five ,
Speaker 4: 41:27 17 minutes display and dual speakers. These features combined with the real feel, flight yoke and control buttons allow for endless hours of, of gaming. The star Wars home arcade game is easy to assemble.
Speaker 5: 41:45 Oh, it wasn’t impossible to assemble, but it was a lot more involved than I thought. And you definitely needed two people to do it and it’s not a one person job
Speaker 4: 41:54 And it comes with a clear deck protector to protect the artwork where the controller is of the star Wars home marquee game features the original arcade versions of the classic games based on star Wars, a new hope. We’re here. You battled to destroy the death star, star Wars, the empire strikes back where you fight on hos and you run the asteroid fields and so forth. And star Wars return in the Jeniah where you’re fighting on a and-or with speeder bikes, you get to fly into the desk, darn blow it up. But it is all classic arcade fun. And it is, it has a real arcade feel to it. It’s, it’s 92 pounds. It’s 20 inches deep, 18 almost 19 inches wide and 60.8 inches high. With the riser, it has a one player game. And the thing that really got me was it has the original flight control you, which was very unique to the game itself.
Speaker 4: 43:02 And even has the light up key on the front with the classic artwork. And it, it really is, it’s a, it’s a beautiful machine. It’s a fun interface. It’s a fun game for the kids to fly and for the adults to apply. And you know, when we set it up and we fired it up the first time before we even put it where I was going to go, it was like, you know, my childhood, you know, was recaptured with it because this was the game that I played as a kid and it knocked it out of the park. It really did. So star Wars, the arcade won up star Wars home arcade game available in the U S at GameStop and Walmart retails for around $500. And that was my pick. Did we have anything else, any afterthoughts or anything?
Speaker 5: 43:53 No, I don’t think so. Not today,
Speaker 4: 43:55 No. All right, well you can reach us via email@example.com on twitter@insights_thingsonyoutubeatyoutubedotcomslashinsightsintothingsonourwebsiteatwwwdotinsightsintothingsdotcomaudiopodcastisavailableatpodcastthatinsightsintothingsdotcomandonfacebookatfacebook.com
Speaker 5: 44:22 Backslash insight into things podcast. That’s it. Another one in the books. Have a good week everyone. Thanks guys and have a happy Halloween. I’d be Halloween.
- Insights Into Entertainment Episode 38 “A Marvelous Proposal”
- My Totally AWESOME and WONDERFUL co-host Michelle Whalen
- Disney Detective
- ‘Avengers: Damage Control’ muscles into world of virtual reality
- If you’ve ever dreamed about putting on armor and fighting alongside the Avengers, your day has come — but for a fee.
- “Avengers: Damage Control” is the latest virtual-reality experience at The Void locations, following previous exercises devoted to other Disney-owned properties “Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire” and “Ralph Breaks VR,” derived from the “Wreck-It Ralph” movies.
- “Damage Control” is distinguished by a few factors, the first being that it’s the longest VR experience that Disney and its development arm at ILMxLAB, Lucasfilm’s immersive entertainment unit, have as yet undertaken. The adventure runs 18-20 minutes — almost twice as long as “Ralph Breaks VR” — depending on how long the participants take to walk, and fight, their way through it.
- Telling a story set after the events in “Avengers: Endgame,” players in VR headsets and backpacks are introduced to the encounter by the Black Panther’s sister Shuri (Letitia Wright), who, in the story, has devised suits based on her brother’s uniform combined with Iron Man’s tech from Stark Industries. Those small groups are then dispatched to fight off a threat — using Iron Man-like blasts to shoot down enemies — which is augmented by a variety of haptic effects, including wind, heat and smell. (The faint whiff of popcorn, for example, which given the moment, is a nice touch.)
- “Fans wanted to have a longer experience,” Shereif Fattouh, senior producer at ILMxLAB, explained at a demonstration of the “Damage Control” program. Without disclosing a budget, he added that there were “no holds barred in delivering on the fantasy.”
- Beyond the video featuring Wright, several actors in the Marvel universe — including Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly — lent their voices to the project.
- Virtual reality remains expensive relative to movie-going — prices vary, but tickets run close to $40 at the Void location in Anaheim, near Disneyland — and the suggestion is for children age 10 and up.
- Still, the technical wizards continue to improve and refine the technology, from more elaborate storytelling to immersive imagery that offers fans the “wish-fulfillment,” as they designers put it, of getting a taste of what it would be like to don Iron Man’s suit, or at least a version of it.
- For those weaned on the characters, said ILMxLAB experience designer Ian Bowie, once the backpack and headset are strapped on, “You get to live it.”
- “Avengers: Damage Control” will begin playing at The Void locations on Oct. 18.
- Five Disney fans could get $1,000 for binge-watching movies
- Media site Review.org said it is seeking the “biggest, baddest Disney fan” to watch 30 of their favorite movies and TV shows on the Disney+ streaming service in the 30 days after the platform launches on November 12.
- Candidates are expected to watch those movies and shows right down to the credits and then submit a review of the new streaming platform.
- Applicants are required to list two of their top social media platforms and the number of followers they have, according to the job listing. They must be at least 18 years old and a US citizen.
- The application is available on Review.org, a digital publication that offers reviews on technology devices and in-home service. The application closes on November 7. The publication is neither sponsored by Disney (DIS) nor affiliated to the company.
- Along with $1,000, five selected Disney fanatics will get a one-year subscription to Disney+ and a Disney-themed movie-watching kit with blanket, cups, popcorn popper, and popcorn kernels.
- The launch of the streaming service is expected to be a major milestone for Disney.
- Home to exclusive content from major Disney franchises like Marvel and “Star Wars,” as well as content from Disney Animation and Pixar, Disney+ is the iconic media company’s attempt to take on Netflix (NFLX), Apple (AAPL) and Warner Media’s HBO Max in the US streaming battle. (AT&T’s (T) WarnerMedia is the owner of CNN.)
- Disney expects to amass between 60 million and 90 million global subscribers for the streaming service by 2025. It also plans to invest more than $2 billion in original programming.
- Brie Larson’s Reaction To This Marriage Proposal Will Make Your Day
- Well, this weekend Brie was just minding her business at ACE Comic Con in Chicago and taking pics with her fans when THIS happened:
- Yup! Two men got engaged right in front of Brie and her jaw DROPPED.
- The two men are John Chambrone and Richard Owen. John told BuzzFeed that he handed a letter to Brie that explained why it was so special for him to propose in front of her.
- He also shared that he and Richard have been overwhelmed by the response. “What was a special moment for my husband and me to be with our favorite hero is being embraced by the world! It just feels amazing!” he said.
- And this was clearly also special to Brie. Her expression is basically saying, “OMG, is this really happening?!?!??!”
- Even after, as the couple kissed, she peeked out behind them, still completely shook to her core.
- Afterward, she tweeted and gave her love to the newly-engaged couple. 💕
- Entertainment News
- Martin Scorsese Doubled Down On His Belief That Today’s Movies Are Like ‘Amusement Parks’
- Martin Scorsese, the legendary director of Raging Bull, Goodfellas and untold more, has unwittingly become the scourge of comic book movie fans after saying that Marvel movies are “not cinema.” But it’s clear fanboys aren’t scaring the man who, some thirty years ago, stood up to the entirety of the Catholic Church after making The Last Temptation of Christ. The filmmaker and film advocate has doubled down on his comments while offering a slight but significant update.
- As per The Hollywood Reporter, Scorsese’s comments were made at the BFI London Film Festival, where his latest film, the star-studded mafia epic The Irishman, is the closing night film. He repeated his belief that comic book movies — which have become one of the only genres Hollywood studios still regularly crank out, destroying the mid-budget films made by the likes of Scorsese himself — are a plague.
- “It’s not cinema, it’s something else,” Scorsese said. “We shouldn’t be invaded by it. We need cinemas to step up and show films that are narrative films.”
- Previously Scorsese had compared the films of Marvel and DC to “theme parks.” He doubled down on that as well: “Theaters have become amusement parks. That is all fine and good but don’t invade everything else in that sense.”
- He did offer a single olive branch, saying implying he’d been listening to some of the people, such as Guardians of the Galaxy maven James Gunn, who tried to clap back at him but with respect, saying they’re “fine and good for those who enjoy that type of film,” and added, “by the way, knowing what goes into them now, I admire what they do. It’s not my kind of thing, it simply is not. It’s creating another kind of audience that thinks cinema is that.”
- Scorsese’s controversial statements about superhero films comes, amusingly, while the number one movie in the world is Joker, a gritty stand-alone renegade origin story that is heavily indebted to two of the director’s most beloved films: Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, even featuring those films star, Robert De Niro, in a key supporting role.
- J.J. Abrams says Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker strives to give a cohesive ending to all 9 films
- “Endings are the thing that scare me the most,” admits J.J. Abrams, which means co-writing and directing Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker must have been at least a little terrifying.
- After all, there has arguably never been a film tasked with wrapping up more stories that span a longer cinematic time period than Skywalker. The film not only finishes Abrams’ Disney-produced trilogy that launched with 2015’s The Force Awakens, but also George Lucas’ six previous “Episode” films that began with 1977’s A New Hope. So that’s 42 years of blockbuster sci-fi adventures somehow concluding in one film.
- “This is about bringing this thing to a close in a way that is emotional and meaningful and also satisfying in terms of actually answering [as many] questions as possible,” Abrams tells EW in its November issue. “So if years from now, someone’s watching these movies, all nine of them, they’re watching a story that is as cohesive as possible.”
- That said, Abrams noted that in writing the film (along with Chris Terrio), the filmmaker left room for inspiration and the unexpected. “While there were many things that were planned for and discussed — George Lucas himself said when he created this he saw it as three, three-act plays — that doesn’t mean there isn’t discovery, that doesn’t mean there aren’t things that come up that make you realize, ‘Oh, here’s an opportunity,’” adds Abrams, who returned to helm the final Skywalker Saga chapter after directing 2015’s The Force Awakens. “It also doesn’t mean that there’s a list of payoffs that we have to do because of setups. But we also were very much aware this is the end of the trilogy and it needs to satisfy. We went into this thing knowing it has to be an ending. We’re not screwing around.”
- If Skywalker didn’t have enough to handle in its narrative galaxy, the film is also bringing back Billy Dee Williams’ Lando Calrissian for the first time since 1983’s Return of the Jedi, the late Carrie Fisher’s beloved Leia Organa (by repurposing previously unseen footage shot for Force Awakens) and Ian McDiarmid’s sinister Emperor Palpatine.
- Plus, Skywalker has new characters, such as Keri Russell’s mysterious Zorri Bliss and Naomi Ackie’s bow-and-arrow-weilding Jannah, while also taking time to answer the current trilogy’s biggest burning questions.
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker opens Dec. 20.
- Insightful Picks
- Shady Brook Farms Fall Fest – 931 Stony Hill Rd., Yardley, PA 19067
- FallFest includes AppleFest, the award-winning PumpkinFest, PumpkinFest After Dark, and scary HorrorFest! Enjoy wagon rides, apple picking (when in season), pumpkin picking, 5 acre corn maze, giant jumping pillows and lots more festival fun.
- Monday through Thursday – $10/person
- Friday 11am to 5pm – $10/person
- Friday after 5pm – $18/person
- Saturday & Sunday – $18/person
- Wagon Rides to the apple orchard & pumpkin patch
- Pick your own pumpkins (pumpkins are sold separately)
- Pick your own apples (available while supplies last, and sold separately)
- BEARS Playground
- Giant Jumping Pillows
- Sports Challenge
- 5 Acre Corn Maze
- Inflatable Attractions
- Barn of Horror, Jr. – closes at 5pm
- Chalk Truck
- ALL NEW Chicken Show
- Alien Invasion, Jr. – closes at 5pm
- SBF 500 Pedal Go Carts
- BarnYard Animals
- Spider Web Climb
- Hay Bale Run
- Obstacle Course (under 52″ only)
- Rubber Ducky Races
- Pig Races – weekends only, last race is at 4pm
- Live Entertainment – weekends only
- Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth
- 6 part series
- Joseph John Campbell (March 26, 1904 – October 30, 1987) was an American Professor of Literature at Sarah Lawrence College who worked in comparative mythology and comparative religion
- Campbell’s most well-known work is his book The Hero with a Thousand Faces (1949), in which he discusses his theory of the journey of the archetypal hero shared by world mythologies, termed the monomyth.
- He gained recognition in Hollywood when George Lucas credited Campbell’s work as influencing his Star Wars saga